9.18.2011

The Importance of Fellowship

It’s easy to understand that we need to spend our time with others who are serious about God. We become like those we hang around with. Being with other serious believers will encourage us to stay with God and help us to grow in God.

Being with non-believers for companionship will tempt you to compromise and give into to your “old man” (your old, sinful nature) and your walk with God will suffer.
This can lead a Christian to walk away from God…. Remember God will never take away your free will to choose him. He wants your love, but not out of force.

Here are 2 Biblical examples:
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people." 2 Cor 6:14-16 


I know through my own personal experience as a Christian that it was during the times of fellowship with other believers that I was strongest in my relationship to God. I equate this to being something that God Himself designed as a means of uplifting us when we need it. In times where I felt like I shared a common purpose for God's kingdom with my brothers and sisters in Christ, I felt loved, and people prayed for me, and encouraged me. There is truly strength in numbers. I'm sure Satan would at any chance he gets seek to isolate us from each other. This way he may divide and conquer.