3.13.2012

Psalm 139:1-6

God Knows & Understands You


Psalm 139:1-6 says,

1 O Lord, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. 5 You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it.

Have you ever felt like nobody understands you? Most likely we all have felt this way at times, but the Psalmist David came to a brilliant revelation as he penned Psalm 139. In verse 1 he writes, "  O Lord, You have searched me and known me." No doubt David knew fully well this meant not only did God see the love in his heart for God, but sadly this must have also meant that God could see the wickedness as well. This Psalm was written long after David had committed a terrible sin - that was arranging a man's death so he could take his wife. Yes, God saw it all. 

Further down in verse 3 we see that David also acknowledges that God is " acquainted with all my ways." This means God knows our habits, our fears, our dreams, our failures, our hopes, and everything about us. Of course He does - He's God!

In verse 6 we see David's response to verses 1-5. " Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it." In other words, David is overwhelmed. He realizes that God's knowledge of him is incomprehensible! God knows David better than David, and He also knows you better than you, and me better than me!