9.10.2011

Are you really in the Faith? Part 1

For starters a few verses...

2nd Corinthians 5:10-11
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

Matthew 7:21- 22
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

2nd Timothy 3:1
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:

2nd Corinthians 13:5
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?-unless indeed you are disqualified.

There is a lot of confusion within the Church at large on this subject. Some churches believe "Once in grace - always in Grace" or "Once Saved - Always saved" While others believe that salvation is conditional upon our Christian walk in life. In other words, a person can lose their salvation even though they did have a “Born Again” experience.

Both are extremes:
One focuses on Jesus as Savior more than Lord. To this person it's a done deal and they don't take the Lordship of Jesus Christ as seriously as they should.

The other focuses on Him as Lord and lessens His role as a Savior, for the believer has positioned himself into a place where he feels like he must please His lord. This is often referred to as legalism. Legalism will put a believer on a hamster wheel of performance, always trying to EARN their salvation.

I personally grew up in a Southern Baptist Church and made a public confession for Christ at the age of 11. I then went throughout my teenage years doing whatever whenever. If you'd asked me during those "years of worldly excess" if I were saved I'd have told you "Yes!" for i was focused on Jesus as my Savior. Of course one only had to examine my lifestyle and they would've seen that I was my own lord.

I'm sure now looking back at that time, had I'd died I would have went to hell.
  • Did I make a confession? Yes! 
  • Was I sincere? Yes I really was! 
  • Did I say a sinner's prayer? Yes! 
  • Was I Born Again? No!
It seemed that I did all of the things I was supposed to do, so why wasn't I born again? I signed up for the Savior, but not for the Lord part of the deal. Bottom line is, a 50% commitment is not enough. Jesus wants, and deserves a total surrender. That is a 100% commitment!

At 11 years old, I had chosen Jesus as my Savior, but never made Him my Lord.
And He's either Lord of all - or - not Lord at all! At 11 years old I made Him my Savior because I feared Hell and this wasn't enough!

By God's grace I lived long enough to make Him my Lord. Jesus Christ is now My LORD and SAVIOR!
  • I ask for His direction in my life.
  • I speak with Him daily.
  • I read His word.
  • I long to know Him more and more.
  • I wish to be like Him.
  • I can't wait for His return.
Now as a Christian I know that I don't ever want to slip away from Jesus, but here is the good news. If I were to slip and stumble my actual salvation has nothing to do with how much I sin or mess up. It has everything to do with the price He paid for me however on Calvary's cross.

The scripture we read in 2nd Cor 13:5 said:
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?-unless indeed you are disqualified.

Is Jesus Christ your Savior? Well, then it isn't enough!
Is Jesus Christ your Lord? Well, he cannot be until He is your LORD and SAVIOR both! Once you've surrendered 100% to Him and made Him Lord and Savior you are HIS - and there is not a thing that Satan can do about it!

We are however encouraged to examine ourselves
as to whether you are in the faith.
How do we do this? Be sure to read Part 2 of this blog.