3.30.2012

Experiencing Intimacy with God

Psalm 63:1-8 NKJV
1 O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
4 Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
6 When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
7 Because You have been my help,
Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
8 My soul follows close behind You;
Your right hand upholds me.


God wants to reveal Himself to you. He wants to have an intimate relationship with you. We all have a relationship with God whether you know Him or not, but God wants the intimate relationship with you. All people have a relationship with God since He is the Ruler of all creation. 


Although they don't realize it, those who claim there is no God still have a relationship with Him, for one day they  will face Him as Judge. As we, along with everything in creation are being held together by Him, how foolish is it to deny our need for Him? We live in His creation, we exist by Him, and we are subjected to the laws He has set in place that govern His universe. We all have this relationship with Him. God wants us to know Him more than this however. 


Why would the God of all the universe, all time, and all space want intimacy with one of His created beings? It isn't because God is lonely or because He has any need for us, for God needs nothing. However God loves us so much that He wants this relationship with us. 


In the above passage we can get a glimpse of the relationship David had with God. David was called a man after God's own heart. From the passage above we can see that David yearned and longed for God in his life. 


God does not only want to have an intimate relationship with us, but He has even went to extremes to make it available to us! Since mankind has fallen in the Garden of Eden there has been a barrier set between us and God. This barrier is called sin and we have become sinful in our nature. God is holy however, so this is at odds with Him. 


We tend to get the idea that God cannot come into the presence of sin as if it were like kryptonite is to Superman. God can do anything though - He is God! It is sin that cannot enter into the presence of God for He is holy!  As creatures born into sin we cannot enter into His presence without being utterly destroyed. However, God made a remedy for our sinful nature. 


God sent His Son Jesus to live among us as a human. Jesus, who is God and walked as a man within His own creation, had no sin. Yet He paid the penalty for our sin once and for all. He did this on the cross, yet God raised Him from the dead and He ascended back to Heaven. So what does this mean for sinful mankind?


We can now accept Jesus' payment for our sins and be in His presence. What was unholy - us - is now made holy and justified before our Holy God! This is an extreme measure and just think, He did it for us... more personally, He did it for YOU! He did it all because He places this much value on you. He did it because He loves you and wants to have an intimate relationship with you. In Heaven He has prepared a place for you and you can have an intimate relationship throughout all eternity with Him.  Will you take some time and talk to Him today?