9.18.2011

What Does it Mean to be Born Again?


These days, there are many who would attempt to complicate how a person can be saved. This is nothing new, but the message of the Cross has always been a simple one. There are some who believe that there are many roads leading to Heaven, and some also who teach that ALL roads lead to heaven, but this is contrary to what Jesus taught. We find in the Bible that Jesus said, 

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6
This is good news to us, for it means that God has provided us a way of escape from the eternal punishment we are facing in Hell for dying in our sinful condition. 

How is this possible? Jesus (God), who knew no sin willingly died in our place for our sin. This means He has paid a debt that we never could pay. Now as we accept what Jesus did on our behalf to pay the penalty we owed, we are forgiven and we are now able to enter into Heaven and to be in the presence of God forever. 


Sounds good, but how does one do this? Is it complicated? No... It is as easy as A, B, C...


A... is for Admit:

Confess to God that you are a sinner. Repent or turn away from your sin.


Romans 3:23 says, 

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

Romans 6:23 says,

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"

I John 1:9

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Acts 3:19

"Repent, then turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."


B... is for Believe:

Trust that Jesus is God's Son and that God sent Jesus to save people from their sins.


Roman's 5:8 says,

"but God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Acts 4:12 says, 

"Salvation is found in no else for there is other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved"

John 3:16 says, 

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." 

I Peter 3 : 18 says, 

"For Christ died for sins once in for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit."

John 14:6 says, 

"Jesus answered, I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."


C... is for Commit:

Give your life to Jesus. Ask Him to be your Lord and Savior.

Romans 10:9, 10 says,

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

Romans 10:13 says,

"For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Mathew 16:24 says,

"then Jesus said to His disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

Luke 9:23

"Then He said to them all: if anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." 


If you have read these verses and have taken them to heart, then now it may be time to talk to God. This is what we call prayer, and it is simple. If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and Savior, then it is important that you invite Him into your life. You may pray these words to God in doing so:

Father, I admit that I am a sinner and I need you. I ask that you would forgive me for all of my sins. I believe that your Son Jesus paid for my sins by giving up His life on the cross. I believe that your son Jesus was resurrected from the dead and has redeemed me. I pray that you now come into my life and make me a new creation in you. Lord, give me the strength I'll need to follow You. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus name, amen 

If you have sincerely prayed this prayer and meant it, then congratulations. You are now a new creation. You are physically the same, you may not feel any different, and your IQ didn't increase, but your spirit (the real you) is now a child of God. You must now train your body and mind to follow. This is called living out the Christian life. This is why you will want to attend church so that you may have fellowship with others who have made the decision you have made to follow Jesus. You will also want to read God's word, the Holy Bible, for in it you will receive the instruction needed to live as Christ did - that is - the Christian Life!

There are many scriptures to draw wisdom from, but for starters I'd like to recommend Romans Chapter 12.  I think you will find it to be a good summary of what a Christian looks like. 

May God bless you as you begin a new life with Him!