2.03.2012

Are You a Sheep or Are You a Goat?

We must all examine ourselves to see that we are indeed in the faith, and I'm certainly no exception to this. The bible tells us how to do this and I've written about it in another blog, but if I could give further exhortation...


When I look at the world these days I see a number of things. I see kind-hearted, compassionate, empathetic people who put others before their self. Of course this is not what saves a person (Ephesians 2:8-9), but many of them are Christians, and I certainly could list their names and tell you how proud of them I am, but they know that the glory goes to God, for these people have allowed His love to work through them, and go out to others who are in need. 


They are the sojourners who know that this world is not their home. They are God's Heavenly Ambassadors that seek to ease the pain of others in this world whether through their self-less giving, sacrifices, or just a simple kind word of encouragement to someone who is hurting.

You will find them opening up their home to others, visiting the elderly in the nursing homes, visiting the prisons and hospitals. As they go they show the love of our Savior, and they win souls to Christ. They don't limit it to just these places, but they glorify God in their everyday life too. These are my heroes and they inspire me.  


I also see another reality. I sadly see those who only seem to care about themselves. They are the ones who become easily offended. They are the ones that others must tip toe around so they don't stir up a hornets nest. They are the ones that always seem to want the attention. It is always about them and the world is their oyster! 


Ultimately the Bible tells us that only God can see what is in a person's heart. Also everyone of us is guilty of being selfish at times. Even those claiming to be a Christian can be guilty to some extent of stealing God's glory at times. I know as I write Christian blogs I sometimes have people compliment me and it makes the pride creep in sometimes, so it is a constant reminder for me to give God all of the glory, and keep none of it for myself, for the truth is - apart from God's grace, I'd still be a self-serving sinner. 

Matthew 25:31-46 tells us about what standard Jesus will use for Judgment:

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides hissheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”


This passage paints a frightening, yet revealing picture of the heart of our Savior. Although it is "by grace that we are saved, and not of works lest any man should boast" it is our works that will reveal whether or not we have received this grace or not. 


Simply put, if Christ is in us, then we will do only what comes natural to Christ - that is to love others! As it says in 1st John 5:12, "Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life." 


Of course Jesus knows who belongs to Him and who doesn't, but it is for our own benefit that we are allowed to see what kind of evidence is visibly shown in determining whether we are in Christ or not. We can therefore have the assurance that we are His. 

We also must not rely solely on our works, but must have received Him as our Lord and Savior, knowing His death was the payment for our sin debt, and His resurrection is our assurance of eternal life. If it were all about our works without the grace then it is obvious that we are most likely trying to steal God's glory for ourselves and we would be as the people mentioned in Matthew 7:22-23: 
"Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
To those who are living for the Lord and your life shows the evidence of Christ being inside - you are His sheep. As a sheep, you are timid. The goats in this world can be obtuse, and always seem to get their way in life. It may even seem like the devil isn't giving them as hard of a time as he gives you. 


We need to pray that the eyes of their heart will be opened and that they will allow Jesus to be their Lord and Savior - meaning allowing Him inside, and showing his love to others.  Being alive to Christ and dead to their self. 


They may have it made, or so it seems, but the truth is this world may be the only Heaven they will ever know. there will come a day as we have read that there will be a separation taking place. I believe it is going to be the righteous (sheep) being separated from the self-righteous (goats) and many will be surprised. 


Until that day, the wheat must grow with the tare, and you must not grow weary in showing the love of Christ to others. We can inspire each other as we do so and God can receive all of the glory!