6.05.2012

Growing in Christ

2nd Corinthians 13:5 say's,
Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith. 
 I think the real mark of being a mature Christian is that we stop periodically and do as Paul says - test yourself. This is a subject I've blogged about before.

My pastor Steve Watson in North Carolina would always use the illustration of parents marking a child's growth on a door frame in their home. The child could then look and see how much they have grown over the years. I think this is a brilliant illustration for how we should approach our own Christian growth. 

Instead of just drifting along through life with our blessed assurance in our back pocket, we are to track our growth in Christ. More specifically, we are to allow the Holy Spirit who dwells within us to change us more into the image of Christ. This way we can be better equipped to do God's will on the earth. If a Christian can look back and see no growth, then they should question whether their faith was ever genuine. It could be they were merely going through the motions as some do. 


However there are certain honest questions that one should ask their self as they do this self examination. 

1. Is there evidence of His presence in my life? If so, then He will confirm it to you. 

 Romans 8:16 say's:
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

2. We know we are His children when we Experience Comfort and Peace from Him.
John 14:25-27 say's:

25 "These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


3. We know we are His children because He reveals truth to us.

You may remember reading about the Ameus road experience?'' After the disciples spent some time with Jesus, whose appearance at that time was hidden from them, they exclaimed, Did our hearts not burn within us as He opened the scriptures to us?''


4. We know we are His children because He directs our paths.
Psalm 32:8-9 say's:

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be like the horse or like the mule,Which have no understanding, Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, Else they will not come near you. 



5. We know we are His children because He corrects us.

 Hebrews 12:5-6 say's:
And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:" My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives."
This is a checklist we can go by in times of self examination, and I myself use this from time to time when I'm experiencing doubt, or when I feel like I'm drifting too far from fellowship with the Lord. I used this primarily for my own assurance of my salvation. 


Can a person lose their Salvation?

Most people just want a simply yes or no answer to this question, and I don't believe that scratches the surface in answering it. I believe God alone knows who His children are, and also those who are not His children. Our job is to make sure we are His children!

I honestly believe my salvation is dependent upon a covenant that was made between God the Father, and God the Son. This means something is achieved that could never before be achieved in a covenant between God and man. This covenant is between God and God, so neither side will fail and the covenant is everlasting!

Whether a person can renounce their faith in Christ and still be counted as a child of God who simply has been led astray, I don't know - but I'm never going to explore that personally. 

Bottom line, I believe that through Jesus being crucified, buried, and resurrected, an everlasting covenant was created that sinners (all of us) can be partakers of if we should choose to. I also don't believe this is as simple as reciting a "sinner's prayer" and that is it. 

*The covenant is everlasting, but it is up to the individual whether they will abide within it or not. 

What must I do to be saved?

Paul was once asked this question by a Philippian Jailer and we find this in Acts 16:30-31: 
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

This is the starting point of the journey and once this is done a person is indeed saved. However, most people think this is all there will ever be to becoming a child of God. "The Christian Walk" as some call it is exactly that. It is a journey. This is why Paul encourages us to to test ourselves to see that we are in the faith. Paul therefore was offering the man asking this question more than a one time salvation experience, but a whole new life in Christ Jesus!


God only wants one thing from you...

...and that is EVERYTHING!

Your fears, your phobias, your hopes, your dreams, in short YOUR LIFE!


Romans 12:1 tells us, 
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.

This may sound like a lot is being asked from you, but when you put into perspective WHAT you are being saved from - that is spending eternity in Hell. Then you consider that God Himself took your place on the cross as a sacrifice once and for all for your sins. Then you consider that this is an everlasting covenant created to rescue you and God wants to use you to rescue others by leading them to Him. It's not that much to ask, in fact it is the very least we could do.

We commit our temporal, earthly lives to God, and He gives us an eternal, Heavenly life instead of enduring an eternal punishment in Hell. 


My Personal Experience as a Christian

Personally speaking, it was a decision I made, and I hope you will too. On July 27, 1997 I knelt down, confessed I was a sinner and hopeless without Jesus. I knew it meant a total commitment to Him, for I had acknowledged and confessed that He is my Lord and Savior.
 

At this time I knew very little about how to be a Christian, but I was willing to learn. Through fellowship with other Christians, reading my bible, and praying to God I've grown despite my stubborn ways.

I'm not foolishly arrogant enough to think I've arrived in being like Christ, but now looking back I can track the growth through many of life's experiences. I've learned that it is often as we look into the rear-view mirror of life that we can see mostly where God's hand was guiding and protecting us, but every now and then we realize it as it happens too. This is very exciting when this happens. In fact, living as a Christian is a journey like no other and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Matthew 16:26 says,
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
 Over the years as a Christian I've learned many things and I've had to unlearn many things. I agree with some doctrines, and I disagree with some doctrines. In doing so I look to the bible and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. There are things I believed years ago that I do not believe today. My personal belief system has some things written in pen and some things written in pencil. As I grow in Christ it is exciting and I can't wait to see what the future holds. 



An Invitation


It just wouldn't seem right not to close this blog without a simple invitation to anyone who does not know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Maybe you are still studying Him and haven't arrived at a conclusion. If so, I do hope you have enough time to make up your mind. 

Perhaps I can help you by saying, I knew very little about Jesus when I became a Christian and now 15 years later I'm still learning about Him and His ways. I've committed myself to be a student at His feet for the rest of my life. I know even at the end of my life there will still be more to learn about Him - for He is God. 


Salvation begins however with a decision and a commitment to Jesus. You then walk with Him throughout life and learn of Him. If you wish to make this decision then start here with this prayer:

Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner.
I believe in you and that your word is true.
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he died on the cross so that I may now have forgiveness for my sins and eternal life.
I know that without you my life is meaningless.
I believe that you, Lord God, raised Jesus from the dead.

Please Jesus forgive me, for every sin I have ever committed.
Please Lord Jesus forgive me and be my personal Lord and Savior today.
I need you to be my Lord, my Savior, and my Friend.

I give you my life and ask you to be in full control from this moment on; I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.
Amen.

If you have prayed this prayer and thus began this journey please let me know by email. 


God Bless you!