10.03.2012

Adopted as God's Children

Galatians 4:3-7 says, 
3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world. 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
I remember it like it was yesterday. On July 27, 1997, I accepted Jesus' free gift of salvation by repenting for my sins, believing that He died for my sins, and was raised from the dead, I confessed that Jesus is Lord of all, and especially over my life. I accepted Him as my Savior, my Lord, and as the friend that sticks closer than a brother. My life has never been the same since.

When I made this decision I knew it was a permanent change I was making, but to be honest I didn't fully understand everything about it, and I still to this day am trying to process it. Romans 5:8 tells us that, "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I don't know how to entirely grasp that... I mean the GOD of all the Universe died for ME? 

As a child I always felt like love was something that I had to earn. My dad was not a Christian, but he had his own code of ethics that he followed. They went something like - go to work everyday - go fishing - watch football - go to work - go fishing - watch football.... you get the picture. He was very hard to please, so we children often heard phrases like, "Can't you do anything right?" (I brought it down to a G rating believe me). I loved my dad, but I always felt like a huge disappointment to him, so I often questioned his love for me (even though I'm sure he did love me). Often our views of God as our heavenly Father can become tainted due to having a painful relationship with our earthly father. This certainly was the case for me. 

To read the passage above however, "that we might receive the adoption as sons" is something that I actually can identify with, for I have loved and raised another man's children as my very own. Sometimes people have children that were unplanned, and they make the best of it. Others plan for having children, but then don't love them once they get them. Then there are those couples who have children and love them thank goodness. 

Having stepchildren is different though. In the younger years of learning to be a dad, it was at times overwhelming I'll admit. Fast forward 20 Years later:::: Somehow Ann and I watched these 3 kids grow into adults we are very proud of today.  I would never doubt any parent's love for their children, but I know for myself that I love my children more than anything else in this world... Yes, even more than White Castle Hamburgers. On this journey, I've also learned that there is a very unique perspective one gains from being a step dad. 

I used to question how God could love me at all, and especially enough to claim me as His child. Of course I love my wife Ann, and am very thankful to God for crossing our paths. The truth is though, as much as I love Ann, I still had to decide whether or not to choose the children or not. To some men this would have been the deal breaker. I chose to be a father to my children. Of course my point isn't to compare myself to God, but God has chosen us, and even more,  while we were unlovable sinners He chose to love us!

I know in my own heart how much I love my kids - Dedra, Kevin, and Thomas. If a sinful man like myself can love like that, then how much more could our Holy God love us - His adopted children? The answer is - more than we could ever imagine! I believe in my heart that I would literally die for my kids (as probably most parents would). Isn't it an awesome thing that God has even done that for us, just so we could choose Him as our Father, and become His Children?

Tim Chester, in his book "You Can Change" brilliantly describes our relationship with God:
It was Sophie's first day with her adoptive parents. She stalked nervously around her new home, fearing one of the beatings she was used to getting if something got broken. The toys in her room went untouched; she couldn't quite believe they were hers. At dinner she secretly stuffed food into her pocket; you never know where your next meal would come from when you were on the streets. That night she felt so alone in her big room. She would have cried herself to sleep if she hadn't long since learned to suppress emotion.  
Now listen to her new mother one year later: "She crawled into bed with me last night because she was having a bad dream. She curled up next to me, put her head on my chest, told me that she loved me, smiled, and went to sleep."  
Sophie had a new identity on day one. She'd become a child in a new family. But initially she lived like a child on the street. Her actions and attitudes were shaped by her old identity. Christians too have a new identity. And we're to live out our new identity. So don't live like a slave when you can live like a child of the King of Heaven.
How many of us Children of God have actually embraced this new identity? Often the Church and the world are hard to tell apart, for we still live so much like the world, as if we are still slaves to sin. Like the girl Sophie in the story we've been adopted, but we still haven't yet got to where we are fully trusting. Isn't this true also as Christians? 

We decide to follow Jesus, but when the walk (life) gets too bumpy, we veer off of His path and go our own way following the path of least resistance. We can sometimes even get to the place where we honor Jesus with our lips, but deny Him with our lifestyle. Often this doesn't happen overnight, but it start with one simple act of not trusting Him, but rather trusting our own way. 

The truth is we don't have to live as slaves to sin, which will ultimately destroys us. We can accept our new identity and put our full trust (called surrendering) in our Father, who will never lead us to destruction, for He loves us!