6.13.2012

The Same Sex Marriage Debate

There is a lot of controversy these days predominantly between our two major political parties about which party has captured the moral high ground in this country. Being this battle for morality is waging, this has placed the Church (in general) in the center of the debate and everyone looks to her to see where she stands. 

If the Church answers in an unfavorable way to some, then you will likely hear them say things like, "This is why we have the separation of Church and State." - as if the Church shouldn't meddle in the affairs of the government. 

In college I once wrote a paper for my Political Science class about this subject, but instead of just posting it (way too long anyways), I wanted to take a fresh look at this subject for I feel like the seasons have changed somewhat in this Country since then. 

Most people will tell you that our government  has a law that calls for the separation of the Church and State, but they are wrong. The First Amendment states:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
So in plain terms it would seem that the First Amendment is designed to keep the government out of the affairs of the Church (whatever Religion it may be).

This has been interpreted and re-interpreted over the years so many times however, and so many courts have put so many spins on it that the First Amendment has become the place we point to when the subject of "separation of Church and State" comes up. 

Recently, a huge debate has broken out regarding Same Sex Marriage in this country, and once again both major political parties have drawn their swords and climbing to take the moral high ground in this country. Also, once again the Church is looked at once again for the right answer. 

Who is doing this? The media is! If the government isn't asking for the Church's input then why is the media? Why???  Because controversy always makes a good story. The truth is the government cannot interfere with the church at the First Amendment states, but there is no way that the government can stop the church from interfering with it. 

The church is made up of people (voters) and therefore the church will always be in a position to voice their values just as anyone else can in this country. 

Therefore I think the media is hitting a foul ball when they go to interview religious leaders about political issues. I also understand their reasoning as they want to find voices on both sides of the issue. 

I've had friends ask me as well where I stand on this issue. To these people I'll have to answer in 2 ways as I am both a Christian and a Citizen. Another way of seeing it is I'm a citizen of 2 different kingdoms. 


As a citizen of Heaven  aka...a Christian:
I think there is enough scripture just in Romans chapter 1 alone to convince me that same sex marriage is not a lifestyle that God intended. Therefore I will exercise my civil vote in accordance with my understanding of this scripture. This is my right as a citizen. 
I become disgusted however when I see Christians (so they claim) not showing love to ALL people as we also are told in the Bible to do. I'm sure this isn't right of me, but I want to categorize them immediately with the Westboro Baptist Church ...aka hate group.
I think most believers often forget that we have our own sins to deal with (I have my fair share too) and that Christ loves us in spite of our sins. (Romans 5:8)

None of us can earn the free gift of salvation that cost Jesus so much. This being the case there is only ONE thing that will send us to Hell - That is, not accepting Jesus Christ' sacrifice for our sins, and calling upon Him to be our Lord and Savior.
 For "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved." - Romans 10:13
This means there is room at the foot of the cross for EVERYONE!
The message of Salvation is so simple. It's when we get into the "dealing with sin" part, that it becomes complicated to us. For if Jesus is our Lord now, then we should look to Him for answers, and trust Him as our absolute authority.
Those who call Him their Savior must also look to Him as Lord, meaning they will obey His commandments written in His word. What is also great is that we have the guidance of the Holy Spirit to show us all truth. (John 16:13)
Bottom line is we are still saved even if we never are able to shake off any sin or addictions that we are dealing with. ( I do know some Christians believe otherwise.)
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. - John 10:29
There are other verses that support this, but I also base this belief in part on the fact that we will store up treasure in Heaven. Some will have done more for God's kingdom than others and have therefore invested more, but all there are saved.
In Heaven I also don't believe there will be any class system for all of us there will know two things. 1. How great a sinner we are and how undeserving we are of being there. - and - 2. How great a Savior our Lord Jesus is. 
That's right - I believe there will be all kinds of sinners in Heaven that were washed by the blood of Jesus Christ.  None of us are sinners because of the things we do. The bible teaches we were all born into sin.
 As the Scriptures say, "No one is righteous--not even one. - Romans 3:10

As a Citizen of the USA: 
I don't believe the constitution was written to protect just my beliefs, but it was also written to protect the beliefs of every American, and I realize this is why we vote. 
I also know that the outcome of the voting is not always going to go in my favor, but I should accept it as the will of the people since we are blessed to live in this free country where everyone can have our voices being heard.
Therefore as a citizen it makes no difference to me whether Same Sex Marriage passes or not, for I do not plan to stop my Christian belief of loving all people and sharing the good news of Salvation.
Now if it were to ever come a time in the United States, or if in the future a one-world government were to make it unlawful for me to be a Christian, then this is the point that I would become a law breaker and shun my civil citizenship and embrace my Heavenly citizenship as the only one.
I don't see that the passing of the "Same Sex Marriage Law" will inflict such an extreme on my religious beliefs.
I also don't see where I will love the people who are supportive of Same Sex Marriage any less should this pass or should this not pass into law. 

Conclusion:

I see this as a civil issue and not as a church issue. Were it a Church issue I wouldn't believe it right for a participant of a same sex marriage to fulfill a leadership position within the church. I would base this upon my belief in these scripture passages. However, this is not an issue of the Church, but it is a government issue.
According to Romans chapter 13, the governments of this world are ordained by God. In other words - He's well aware of who is running the country and even knew it before it happened. On top of this God ordains the governments of the world whether for our blessing or whether for our judgment.
God could have easily made all of the governments a theocracy directly under His control, but in His perfect wisdom He allowed democracies, monarchies, dictatorships, parliamentarians, totalitarians, and republics like our own government to rule the people of earth.
I'm sure God also knows the outcome of every election or law being passed.  So I will vote my way and others will vote their way and the people's majority will prevail. I will as always put my trust in God and not man, and this county despite how it votes will be "One Nation Under God" as all nations are "under God" whether they esteem Him or not.