12.12.2011

The 12 Days of Christmas


My wife suggested this for a Blog topic today and I think it's a wonderful idea. The content below is from Wikipedia, so it may or may not be accurate, but I find it interesting just the same. Thanks Ann!

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
A Partridge in a Pear Tree.
The second verse:
On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
2 Turtle Doves
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
The third verse begins to show some metrical variance, as explained below:
On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
...and so forth, until the last verse:
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... 12 Drummers Drumming... 11 Pipers Piping... 10 Lords-a-Leaping... 9 Ladies Dancing... 8 Maids-a-Milking... 7 Swans-a-Swimming... 6 Geese-a-Laying... 
5 Gold Rings... 4 Colly Birds... 3 French Hens... 2 Turtle Doves... And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
"The Twelve Days of Christmas" as a Catechism Song
GiftInterpretation
A partridge in a pear treeJesus
Two turtle dovesThe Old and New Testaments
Three French hensThe three kings bearing gifts
Four calling [sic] birdsThe four Gospels
Five gold ringsThe Torah or Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament
Six geese a-layingThe six days of Creation
Seven swans a-swimmingSeven gifts of the Holy Spirit
Eight maids a-milkingThe eight Beatitudes
Nine ladies dancingNine fruits of the Holy Spirit
Ten lords a-leapingThe Ten Commandments
Eleven pipers pipingThe eleven faithful Apostles
Twelve drummers drummingThe twelve points of the Apostles' Creed