3.14.2012

Psalm 139:13-18

God Made You and Has a Plan for You


Psalm 139:13-18
13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. 17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You.

In the first part of Psalm 139 we read how God knows us and still wants us. We learned how He places a very high value of us. David now moves in the text from God knowing him psychologically to God knowing him physically. From verses 13 to 16 God is magnified and exalted as the Creator of the human body. Of course this means He knows us physically. 

Again we also see David writing his response to these revelations when we read verses 17 and 18 when he says,  "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You. "  Even with the primitive knowledge about the human body that existed in David's day, it was enough to blow his mind. 

How much more should we be awestruck with a more detailed knowledge of God's creation of the human body? David had no knowledge of the central nervous system, the circulatory system, the immune system, the reproductive system, the digestive system, the respiratory system, the millions of cells, the delicate balance of chemicals that we are made up with, and so much more. David's response to this again is, "How precious also are Your thoughts to me." Realizing  his physical body was such an amazing gift, David is again overwhelmed at the goodness of God.